Up until now, we've been writing in the perspective of a European explorer. To learn more about the other side of the story, we read Encounter by Jane Yolen as a class.
For this extra credit entry, pretend that you are a native person living in the land that your explorer discovered. Write about your encounter with the European explorers.
Vocabulary words to include in your entry:
1. Custom: A habit or usual practice
2. Strangers: A person one is unfamiliar with; an outsider
3. Friendship: The state of being friends
4. Feast: A large, delicious meal for a group of people
5. Lost: To have had something taken away
Questions to answer in your entry:
1. Who are you?
2. What were you doing when you saw the strangers coming toward your land?
3. What did the strangers look like? What did they have on their body?
4. What did they do when they first got on land?
5. What was your encounter like? Were they friendly? What did you say to them?
6. What did you do together with the strangers?
7. How long did they stay? If they left, why did they leave?