We watched a play based on the book Call it Courage. Here is a short description of the play from the HTFY website:
Ruthlessly bullied, young Mufatu sets out on an epic adventure to find his courage. This world premiere production set in ancient Polynesia is one of the first and greatest stories of a child finding the hero within.
1. Why did Mafatu fear the sea?
2. Why did Mafatu want to escape to another world?
3. At the beginning of the story, would you describe Mafatu as a coward? Why or why not?
4. Do you think Mafatu's experiences on the island would fill his father with pride? Why or why not?
5. Why did Mafatu think the island contained eaters-of-men?
6. How did Mafatu become courageous?
7. Why did Mafatu want his father to be proud of him?
8. How did Maui answer Mafatu's prayer? Why?
9. How did Tavana Nui react to his son's return? Was it what Mafatu expected?
10. What was your favorite part of the field trip? Why?
We ate lunch outside of a famous Hawaiian landmark this afternoon. What was the name of the place and what makes it so important?
Remember class rule #1: Always do your best!